Proper denture care is essential to ensure that your dentures continue to fit comfortably and function effectively. Dr. Scott Butts will provide you with specific instructions when you receive your dentures, but here are some general recommendations for maintaining your appliance:
- Avoid DIY Adjustments: Resist the urge to make any adjustments to your dentures on your own. Only qualified dental professionals have the expertise to diagnose problems and make necessary adjustments. Attempting to adjust them yourself can lead to damage to the denture or potential harm to your oral health.
- Follow Professional Guidance: Always adhere to the instructions provided by our dentist regarding wearing and cleaning your dentures. These recommendations are tailored to your specific needs and will ensure the longevity and comfort of your dentures.
- Daily Cleaning: Brush your dentures daily to remove food particles and plaque. Make sure to clean all surfaces of the denture to maintain their cleanliness and prevent odor.
- Use Denture Cream: When brushing your dentures, utilize a denture cream instead of regular toothpaste. Toothpaste can be abrasive and may scratch the denture surface over time.
- Cold Water Rinse: Rinse your dentures with cold water. Avoid using hot water or placing them in the dishwasher, as this could cause them to lose their shape or warp.
- Regular Inspection: Regularly inspect your dentures for signs of wear or damage that could affect their function. Any issues should be promptly addressed by our dentist.
- Storage: When not wearing your dentures, keep them submerged in water or in a denture cleaning solution to prevent them from drying out, which can lead to warping.
We recommend scheduling routine appointments with our dentist for denture maintenance. These visits will help ensure that your appliance functions correctly and that your oral health remains in optimal condition. Additionally, inform our dentist and team about any medications you are taking, as some drugs can impact your oral health and affect the fit of your dentures.
If you experience loose or broken dentures, schedule an appointment promptly to avoid potential damage to your gums and bone tissue. If you have any questions about denture care in Holly Springs, North Carolina, or want to schedule your visit to Avent Ferry Family Dentistry, please contact us today at 919-372-3400. Your oral health and comfort are our top priorities.